What's the difference between TPE and silicone?
TPE and silicone have similar tactility and characteristics. TPE soft rubber material will replace silicone material in the market. Silicone belongs to rubber and is an elastomer of thermosetting. TPE is an elastomer of thermoplasticity. The difference between TPE and silicone.
1. TPE is a general term for a variety of elastomeric materials with rubber elasticity at room temperature and melting flow at high temperature. Silicone is a special rubber with good mechanical strength, wear resistance and high temperature resistance after crosslinking. It belongs to thermosetting rubber. After vulcanization, it will not melt if reheated. When the temperature is too high, it will burn. The product of complete combustion is water and silicon dioxide.
2. Their analytical structures are different: silicone is an elastomer connected by silicon-oxygen bonds in the main chain, and side chains are generally methyl groups, namely CH3. TPE is a thermoplastic elastomer with styrene, olefins and polyurethanes. The main difference in their molecular structures is that the main chain is a SI02 structure, and the main chain is a CC structure.
3. Processing performance: silicone needs vulcanization and heating, TPE can be processed without vulcanization. Silicone processing is difficult, while TPE production and processing is simple.
4. Silicone has an advantage over TPE in high temperature resistance. Silicone generally has a temperature resistance of 200-300 degrees, while TPE theoretically has a temperature resistance of 130-150 degrees Celsius, and then aging and cracking occurs at a higher temperature.
5. From the cost point of view, the waste of silicone can not be recycled. TPE waste, nozzle material, edge and corner material can be completely recycled and recycled. TPE can save more costs.
Finally, you may also want to know the difference in feel and use between the two. You can go to the official website of jydoll.com to learn about them. There are very detailed videos explaining the differences between the two and their respective advantages and disadvantages.